Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love & Appreciation

Several days ago I was returning a text and I went to type I love and appreciate you. I glanced at it and thought for an instant that sounds a little repetitive. As I got ready to erase some of it the Lord spoke to my spirit. He said love and appreciation are not the same thing.

As I began to think about it I saw how true it was. I can "love" a lot of people in my life (my husband, my boys, family, friends, etc) but am I appreciating them in my life. Do I tell them I appreciate the things they do for me? Do I show them I appreciate them by my words and actions?

The Lord had me take it a step further. He said you say you love me but do you appreciate me? It was a real eye opening thought for me. I do absolutely love the Lord but do I always appreciate him and do I show him I appreciate him?

One of the definitions of appreciation is an active thankfulness. Am I actively thankful to the Lord or I am constantly wanting/desire for more from him. When I spend time with the Lord is it mostly about what I want or need or desire for him to do in me or through me or do I appreciate (actively thank) him for what he has already done, is doing and will do in my life.

So I want to challenge you as I have been challenged to appreciate the Lord in your life. Show him your appreciation in your words, actions, the way you live your life. Show him active thankfulness in worship when you feel like it and even when you don't. Psalm 107 is a psalm completely focused on thankfulness. All 43 verses express appreciation to the Lord. It starts in verse 1 "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out! Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies." That psalm ends in vs 43 saying "If you are really wise, you'll think this over -it's time you appreciated God's deep love." MSG

No matter what our circumstances, feelings, or the world says God is a good God and so worthy of our love AND appreciation!

No comments:

Post a Comment